Saturday, March 5, 2011

Duck X-ing


I love ducks. I consider them the comedians of the animal kingdom. They're adorable, they waddle around, they quack and make weird noises for no reason. Long story short, they crack me up. I can't be in a bad mood if ducks are around. 

One of the cooler aspects of the property I live on is that ducks are everywhere (thanks to a large creek out back). They just waddle around looking cute, quacking up a storm. My favorite thing to do? Walk slowly behind one. Have you ever seen a duck try to run away? Hilarious! I've been hearing quacks and rumbles underneath my bedroom window early in the morning, I think some ducks are making a home in my bushes. I tried to get a good pic, but they got pissed and wouldn't stay still.


Now for the sad part. The duck crossing sign pictured above is further down the street. For some inexplicable reason, the ducks insist on crossing the road several times a day en masse. Unfortunately, some of them don't make it back. Serious duck carnage, poor things... And the ass-kicker? There's absolutely nothing on the other side of the road! I don't get their motivation. Maybe ducks are also the thrill-seekers of the animal kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. I love ducks too! I used to have a couple of pet ducks when I was a teenager until I came home one day and found out my dear father gave them to a one of his co-workers to eat! Thanks Pop. Where I used to live there was also a duck crossing. Actually, this time there was something on the other side of the road....anothr pond. Every day when I passed by this area I would dread seeing if one of the ducks didn't make it. Alas, sometimes they didn't. I'm glad I don't live in that town anymore. Down here in LSD we have snow geese. They fly everywhere. No walking to the other side of the road here when they can fly. Smart geese.

    ReplyDelete