Sunday, December 5, 2010

Happy Haneke!


In celebration of Hanukkah I decided to have a mini-marathon of one of my favorite directors, Michael Haneke. Alright, moment of honesty, I don't know two shits about Hanukkah... I just needed the holiday for the terrible pun in the title. For shame!

I still hadn't seen his latest, the award-snatching The White Ribbon, so I decided to re-watch two of his older works to get in the mood. First up, La Pianiste with the divine Isabelle Huppert and secondly my FAV Haneke film (and one of my favorite films period) Caché. A good time was had by all, and by all, I mean myself and the bowl of cheese grits I ate while watching.

Needless to say, The White Ribbon is a fucking gorgeous film. My cold, cynical heart even melted at a few points. The old-fashioned love story woven throughout is actually moving. And don't even get me started on the scene where the little boy gives his father a bird to replace his old one (pictured above)... Haneke is going soft on us! Well, not really, the film is also incredibly dark and sinister. And also a huge step up from his completely useless remake (of his own film no less) Funny Games. I can't stomach Michael Pitt's face for one minute, let alone through an entire film. Caché is still his best work, but this is right up there. Astounding!

No comments:

Post a Comment