Sunday, September 12, 2010

Vanity is nasty!

I'm such a ridiculous Prince fanatic, his musical output during the 80's is untouchable. I am also somewhat of a Prince collector as well (ask me how much I plopped down for the ultra-rare Japanese CD pressing of Apollonia 6... you'll cry). Prince had several proteges during the 80's for which he wrote and produced: The Time, Sheila E., Jill Jones, A6, The Family, etc. But I've always been fondest of Vanity 6. They were sleazy and skanky and just didn't give a fuck (and this was all before Madonna made being a skeaze trendy). Vanity was that bitch, period. Brenda was foul white gutter-trash and reveled in it; check out her rap on "If A Girl Answers (Don't Hang Up)" for proof. And Susan... well, I like to pretend Susan didn't exist. She rocked the hell out of that mustache though.

The highpoint of their career was obviously the club classic "Nasty Girl," without a doubt one of the most influential dance tracks of the past 30 years. The Neptunes, Timbaland, Ryan Leslie and The Dream have all ripped off the beat a million times. Hear Vanity demand "seven inches or more" here:



And thanks to the power of youtube, we get this trashy performance from almost 30 years ago. I wish I could have been there! Straddle that mic stand Vanity!



And here's a pic of me, with guess what... my Vanity 6 poster of course.



I think there's something sexy behind me!

No comments:

Post a Comment